I arranged an interview with a girl well known to be obsessed with playing video games, with her latest purchase being Call of Duty - I sat down and asked Melissa some question's I was anxious to know:
So Melissa, What attracts you to play games such as Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. And when did you start playing them?
Well Ryan, I love 'gaming' as I've been attracted to consoles since the sega at the age of probably 5+. I have a picture of myself as a one year old holding on to a sega pad if you would like too see that. I think also being brought up with three brothers probably has a huge impact on it also.
I would like to see that picture and one of you on the console now if possible? Also, does the violence and crime in specific games make you not want to play the? Or did it not bother you?Well if you go to my albums in Facebook and click 'back in the day' you should find it there, and yes I shall dig out of picture of me playing the console. For some reason the violence and crime in a game makes it more realistic than let's say crash bandicute and probably attracts me to them more as I'm playing a character that could arguably exists in today's society.
 |
| 18 Years on: Melissa still playing games. |
So why do you think many girls would rather go on the likes of Facebook or play with make-up? How can we influence girls to play more?It's an obvious fact Ryan, that the gaming world is aimed for towards men. Don't get me wrong, I go on Facebook daily, I spend hours getting ready before a big night out, and I wear make-up every day - like most girls. But being around brother's I suppose could be a major reason in why I play video games. Maybe if I had two sisters I would never have picked up a computer pad. I always had the option there to join in with my brothers and watch them play on different types of games. Their is hardly any role model's for girls in games. I agreed with your blog on Lara Croft that it's an unrealistic representation of the female race. I, as well as many other girls also do not think she represent's me as a woman - gun's aside. I don't wear tight clothes with my body squeezing out - and if you look around your university campus I'm sure there will be a lot of girls who don't. Probably just wearing jean's and a t-shirt and a coat. Adding an option to choose male or female characters could help increase, or maybe creating games that don't consist of male violence and robbing banks. But as I said, that sort of stuff does not bother me.
Thank you Melissa, It's been interesting to hear about your possible family influence's and the way the gaming world being seen as a "Second life" approach - allowing people to have an insight of a different life.Anytime. Thank you for the interview!
Credits to
Melissa Craig, Aged 19 from Tuebrook
X Box Live Account: MelissaCraig
No comments:
Post a Comment